Monday, December 14, 2009

Today I am stuck in the house. I have no car and it is raining. Seems like a good time to get started on some Christmas cookies. While the first batch is in the oven I randomly scanned a recipe book that belonged to my Grandma and I got a great idea: I'm going to share a recipe! A lot of blogs that I read talk about cooking or baking from time to time. They share recipes. (I've tried a couple and they have been okay. I suppose anything that would taste great would require more work than I am willing to do.) I came across this recipe and thought I just had to share it. A word of caution: If you have just eaten, are about to eat or want to eat sometime in the next day you might not want to read it.

BLODKLUB
1 quart blood
3/4 pint water
1-1/2 pints chopped suet
2 tablespoons salt
3 teaspoons pepper
2 teaspoons ginger
1 teaspoon cloves
2 pounds rye flour (scant)
Mix all ingredients well together. Form with a spoon into large balls. In center of each ball place a piece of suet covered well. Place in pot of boiling salted water. Let simmer half an hour or more.
Is that awful or what? I believe this was actually for human consumption. Yuck! Literally, this nearly makes me sick. And worse yet is the fact that there are 2 more recipes in which the first ingredient is blood. My Grandma was Norwegian, and she was born in 1895. Somehow I guess that -- explains this. ???
To be honest, I don't think she ever made this. The recipe book is missing a cover, marked up, written in, tattered and taped. She made notes all around the stuff she liked. (Mostly cookies!) The page with the blood recipes is pretty pristine so, thank goodness, I don't think she was into Blodklub.
I'll get back to my cookie baking now. I believe I shall not be in the mood to eat any of them for awhile.
You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment