Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Tidbits (I'm Still Here!)

When I was growing up, my siblings and I were required to say "Excuse me please, thank you for the good breakfast" (lunch, dinner). My husband and I have required the same thing of our children. The funny thing is, while my husband and I are typical Americans in that our ancestors hailed from many different countries, each of our families primarily identify as Norwegian and secondarily German.  We were reading a bit about Norwegian customs and learned that a typical Norwegian family requires their children to say exactly what I was raised to say at the end of every meal.  I find it interesting to know that we have carried on customs from our ancestors without even knowing it.


I looked online for a piece of Norwegian folk art to include here.  I found some beautiful examples but was afraid they may be copyright protected. Suddenly I remembered that in March I visited my 97 year old Aunt and photographed some of the things she had hanging on her walls. Perfect!


2 comments:

  1. Your aunt's treasures are very pretty. It's lovely to have family traditions and keep them going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How good to see you again!
    So nice to hear of families being thankful and not afraid to say so. I think Europeans have better manners than British children.

    ReplyDelete