Wednesday, December 8, 2010

While the kids were on Thanksgiving vacation we visited a park that I've been wanting to see ever since we moved in August. We drive by it frequently on the way home and I knew I could get to it easily by bus. The fact that there is an art supply store just across from the entrance made me think it must be very picturesque. I was not disappointed. It did have many picturesque Asian vignettes. I was a little disappointed in the fact that it was not as peaceful as I expected, owing to the fact that it is surrounded on all sides by busy Taiwan streets. Oh well, in the pictures you cannot hear the traffic, so enjoy!

The park entrance. I suppose the name is over the arch but of course I cannot read it.

The park begins with paths leading in several directions.

Many paths lead to bridges which cross a pond and lead to various structures.

The path the kids chose led to this cave. Sorry, I told them, I am NOT going in there. They went in without me. Very quickly Ethan came back to say it is just a short path with another opening into the park and it is NOT scary and I must go in with him. I took a deep breath and plunged in. He was right. It wasn't too bad.


This was on the other side of the cave-path. It is the restrooms! Quite pretty.

Much of the park is made up of covered or shaded walkways. It was an extremely pleasant day so I preferred the sun, but in the hot, humid summer I am sure these shaded areas are a blessing.
Over a bridge and up some stairs to another cave. I refused to go in that one. I'm sure it was fine, but caves are not my thing and there were too many beautiful things outside to look at, I didn't want to waste my time in a dingy cave.

Around the back of the cave there were scenes like this:

And as I was walking around the cave I found this one leaf which was turning color.







There are a lot of arches and circular entrances and windows in Chinese architecture. I suppose it has some significance. If I had to guess I would say it has something to do with keeping evil spirits out since their culture is so permeated with that. I haven't asked anyone about it yet, but I will.

This walkway was painted gold with red and green accents. Those are the colors you see most often. Nothing is done just because they like it; every choice has a purpose. If I remember correctly red and gold symbolize royalty or wealth. I think purple is used for funerals so you don't see purple in decorating here. Too bad, it's my favorite color!














It would be difficult for me to pick one favorite feature of the park as there were many beautiful areas. But if I had to choose just one I think it would be this arched bridge. It seems to me very representative of Asian landscapes.


If only I knew how to paint...

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous!! Wow. That's an incredible park. Thanks for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taiwan looks like a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This certainly is an interesting park. Enjoyed the opportunity of being able to visit and enlarge pictures for detail.
    Wondering where your hard winter was last year?

    ReplyDelete