Sunday, July 18, 2010

How Does Your Garden Grow...at Monticello?

Can you stand some more flower pictures? I hope so, because I have a lot of them.

Last fall we visited Monticello, the home of Thomas Jefferson.
It is located near Charlottesville, Virginia. The setting could not be more beautiful. You park a ways down hill from the home and walk up through lawns...
and vineyards...


along flower-lined paths...

and under arbors.

This vine-covered tree was along the route. I don't know, but I would guess the vine is very old.

Like everything some 200+ years ago, I suppose it was all self-sustaining. There were fruits...




and vegetables...

and flowers. Lots and lots of flowers.












The house was fascinating, too. Thomas Jefferson was brilliant. He designed the place and apparently would tear things down and build new as he experimented with architecture. There were interesting things inside. But, of course, I remember little of the inside. I was in heaven out amongst the flowers.
If you're ever in the area, I highly recommend a trip to Monticello. Even if you don't like flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment