Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Few Old Favorites and a New Favorite

I'm not sure who will kill me first for sharing the first of my "old favorites" - Eric or Ethan. Surely they will both want to.

Many years ago Anna received a makeup kit for Christmas. Ethan has always adored his sister, and he has always been jealous of everything she gets. I don't know if adoration or jealously was the root cause of his actions this day, but I found this:


So I'm sorry if the men get all in a tizzy about this picture, but Ethan was only probably 2 years old and the joy on his face just gets me every time. And just for the record, do you see that Tonka truck in the background? He played with that ALL THE TIME. Far more than his sisters makeup.

I don't think the next favorite requires any explanation.

This one might require explanation. The kids LOVE to steal Dad's t-shirts to sleep in. Did then, still do today. Along with that, the way Anna always has her arm around Ethan in pictures touches me a lot. These kids really love each other, and I love that.
Here we have Anna on her first day of Kindergarten with her teacher, Mrs. Merkle. In case you cannot tell, Anna was a bit nervous.


Here they are again, Anna and Mrs. Merkle. This was on her last day of kindergarten. Obviously, the relationship had blossomed.

And Mrs. Merkle segues perfectly into my NEW favorite. It's not the photograph, it's the object of the photograph. It's a Pannekoeken. What does Mrs. Merkle have to do with a Pannekoeken?
You see, Mrs. Merkle has a daughter-in-law who has a great blog (see Amoretti). I was perusing her blog the other day when I found many fabulous recipes in the comment section, as entries for a giveaway. The recipe which grabbed me immediately was for German Pancakes, AKA Pannekoeken's. I made one that morning. It was scrumptious.

I made several more this morning. Rachel and the cousins spent the night with us last night, helping me sort through "stuff". I didn't ask if they might LIKE Pannekoekens, I just told them they must try them. I think they were loved by all. So this is my new favorite breakfast. Easy, yummy, and fun. What more could I want? (Well, a side of bacon or sausage would have been nice. Maybe next time.)

4 comments:

  1. Lovely photos. They must bring back many memories.
    The pancakes look good! Recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth,
    The recipe is SO simple!
    2 Tbsp. Butter
    3 eggs
    1 scant cup flour
    1 cup milk
    1/2 tsp. Salt
    1/2 tsp. Vanilla

    Melt butter in pie plate in oven while pre-heating to 425 degrees. Combine other ingredients in a blender and blend for approximately 1-1/2 minutes. Pour into pie plate and bake for 20 minutes.

    Serve sprinkled with powdered sugar and syrup.

    There are endless variations. You can add a little almond extract, sliced apples, top with fresh fruit, etc.

    I made one of my Pannekoeken's yesterday in a cast iron skillet and it was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I doubled the recipe yesterday and it actually filled 2 pie plates and the cast iron skillet!

    ReplyDelete