Saturday, August 1, 2009

"God moves in a mysterious way,
His wonders to perform;
He plants his footsteps in the sea,
and rides upon the storm.
Deep in unfathomable mines
Of never-failing skill,
He treasures up his bright designs,
And works his sov'reign will.
Ye fearful saints, fresh courage take,
The clouds ye so much dread
Are big with mercy, and shall break
In blessings on your head.
Judge not the Lord by feeble sense,
But trust him for his grace;
Behind a frowning providence
He hides a smiling face.
His purposes will ripen fast,
Unfolding ev'ry hour;
The bud may have a bitter taste,
but sweet will be the flower.
Blind unbelief is sure to err,
and scan his work in vain;
God is his own interpreter,
and he will make it plain."
~ William Cowper (1731-1800)

My thanks go to Pastor Brad and Erin Cheney, who read this hymn to me while I was hospitalized 6 years ago (today!) and later provided me with the written copy. I love it. I do not know the hymn, do not know how the melody goes, but I love it as a poem. The truth of it is so real to me. Many times in the past 3 months this part has run through my head : "Behind a frowning providence He hides a smiling face." I am finding that I rather love old English. It is so much more poetic than our current version, and it seems it is more deeply able to convey meaning. I believe other languages (I think of Greek, but I am sure there are others) are richer, deeper, fuller than English and convey much more meaning in their words. Our current language is so flat and limited; the old English made use of many more descriptive words. Anyhow, I love this poem and believe fully in the truth of its words.

May it bless someone today.

Love in Christ,
Laura

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. I love old English stuff too. Love it.

    I also think Brad is an amazing guy! He is my friend Laura's pastor and she wrote a song about one of his sermons that really struck her. She could not find a tune and so she sent the words to me. By a miracle, I had a tune and started playing it and singing it. Then I recorded it for her to see.

    So totally odd: Me singing the words of Brad Cheney poetically arranged by Laura---God is good.

    Here is the link if you want to hear it:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKO3QaTbE7s

    Not the best sound quality, but you might like it.

    ReplyDelete